In April, the shooting death of a man at a Safeway in the San Francisco Bay Area prompted the company to issue a safety alert.
Since then, more than 50,000 people have signed a petition urging the company’s chief executive to address the problem of people getting shot while parked at the stores.
But despite that pressure, Safeway officials have not taken any concrete action.
According to a report in the SF Gate, “The company has no plans to make any changes to its parking policies, nor have they discussed them with customers, according to one person briefed on the matter.”
The report also said that, as of last month, the company was still “taking steps to address potential safety concerns,” including a training course on how to avoid being shot by an employee.
A spokesperson for the company told SFGate that it’s working with local police to investigate the shooting.
A Safeway spokesperson said the company is “working to ensure a safe and secure environment for all our guests.”
A Safeweb spokesperson told the SFGate the company will “work with local law enforcement to address safety concerns and any incidents.”
A spokesperson from the California Department of Public Health told the website that “the CA Department of Consumer Affairs (CDC) is aware of an incident that occurred at the Safeway Parking Lot in the Bay Area on May 6, 2017, where a man was shot.”
A person familiar with the matter told the outlet that Safeway has “no immediate plans to address any concerns raised by customers.”